Friday, September 24, 2010

Outreach update

So we are back from our trip through Cairns and Hopevale. We are only back on base for 2 days, then we leave again for 5DE. Cairns was a great city, and while there we stayed at a local Baptist church. We visited a middle school and a high school to just hang out with the kids. It was really fun, because we got to connect with them in a relaxed environment. We also ran a church service at another church. I was apart of the worship team, which fits me so well because I love to sing! After a few days in Cairns we made our way to Hopevale, which is an indigenous community. The problems for that community are very similar to the problems of American Indian reservations (alcohol and drugs). We went into the community with the attitude that we were not there to change the people, but rather to just hang out with them and learn from them. We had multiple chances to do so and it was awesome to learn more about them and their culture.

Tomorrow I have to do more preparations for 5DE. I am handling the accounts for the trip, which I have to admit, I am most excited for. I'm also looking forward to connecting with the kids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment